Wednesday, September 17, 2014

Decorating our Apartment

In my Spanish class, you learned that the word for "apartment" in Spanish is apartamento, and it is in many regions of the Spanish-speaking world. However, in Chile, it's called a departamento (which techinically means department, but we won't get too much into semantics here).

Matt and I have been wanting to decorate our departamento since we got here. We wanted to take our walls from plain, asylum style white to something a little cozier.

Today we finally put some decorations on the walls.


We found most of the art at this outdoor market. I loved this place. I can't wait to go back and do some Christmas shopping here. 


We snagged this Dalí (and the other two posters this size) for 1.500 pesos, which is a little under $3. If you paid attention during our cultural unit on Spain, Dalí was a surrealist artist. (Interesting Dalí fact: he loved the city of Richmond, Virginia! How about that!)

I've seen this Dalí in person. It's beautiful.


Another Dalí.


And a Botero. Fernando Botero is a Colombian painter (still alive at 82 years old) who is known for his large, exaggerated, voluminous figures. Simply put, he paints fat figures, including people and animals. I love Botero.

Here they are all together.



We also got a big Chilean flag! The independence holidays are coming up, so there are flags to be found all over the place. Matt picked this one up for us. 

If you know me, you know that my favorite artist is Frida Kahlo. Back home, my house was what I liked to call a mini Frida museum. I have a lot of Frida artwork at home, but none here in Chile. Maybe I'll be able to find a Frida print while I'm here that I can hang in my apartment alongside our Dalís and Botero.

What do you put on your walls? Let me know in the comments.

4 comments:

  1. At the moment, my walls have flowers on them (I moved to Virginia when I was eight and haven't redesigned my room since!) :-) But my parents are letting me redesign my room so I'm going to have music paintings on the walls since music is my passion. :-)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Music paintings will be great! I never learned to play an instrument, but when I was your age I was fascinated by music. My favorites were Tori Amos, Björk, the Decemberists, and Ben Folds. Enjoy the redecorating process!

      Delete
  2. i have 2 hhouses bc my parents are devorced . so one house i have a orange room with red and white flowers and a white polka dot curtten . and at my moms house its a beach theme with mermaids and shells and pictures of my friends on the wall . my collegeg dorm is black with superman and dr.who posters ! lol

    ReplyDelete